Now that Memorial Day is almost here, it’s time to prepare your menu. Since you are going to be busy mingling and entertaining your guests, you need to create a menu that’s easy to cook, as well as easy to eat. You need at least three dishes that your guests can enjoy. We’ve come up with easy and of course, healthy, recipes that you can prepare and cook during your Memorial Day celebration.
Memorial Day Recipes
Give these recipes a try! You and your guests are sure to enjoy these delectable dishes.
Berry Crostini with Honey and Lemon Ricotta
This refreshing appetizer is perfect for a Memorial Day weekend celebration at home or in your backyard. It’s a different take on your usual appetizer because it is full of flavor and healthy. Prepare the ingredients and follow the directions to create this recipe.
- 2 petite whole grain or multigrain French baguettes
- 1 ½ cup of low fat ricotta
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, fresh
- 1 – 2 cups of fresh organic berries (raspberries and blueberries)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 °F.
- Mix the lemon juice, ricotta, honey, and salt in a bowl. You can adjust the taste depending on your preference.
- Slice your French baguette into small slices of ¼ inch thick.
- Place the baguette slices or crostinis on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Sprinkle some salt on the crostinis and bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until they slightly turn golden brown.
- Once baked, spread the ricotta on the crostinis.
- Place the berries on top. You can drizzle a bit more honey if you wish.
- Serve it to your guests and enjoy!
This dish only takes 5 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook.
You can also check out an alternative recipe here. Purchase these items to help make it easier for you to recreate this appetizing recipe:
1. Epicurean Matte Black Natural Fiber Cutting Board, Food52.com | 2. 7-Inch ZWILLING J. A. Henckels Pro Chef’s Knife, Food52.com | 3. GIR Set of 2 Silicone Spatulas, Food52.com | 4. Paderno Silicone Whisk, Food52.com | 5. Nordic Ware Gold Nonstick Baking Sheet Sets, Food52.com
Red Cabbage Coleslaw
A delicious coleslaw is the perfect side dish for a barbecue celebration. Create your own version of the classic coleslaw by giving it a twist. Use red cabbage for added color – perfect for your Memorial Day feast. Here are the ingredients and directions on how to make this dish.
- ½ cup of fresh lime juice
- ½ cup of fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 grated large carrots
- ½ medium red cabbage, shredded and cored
- ¾ cup of cilantro, chopped
- Using a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, lime juice, orange juice, pepper, and salt together.
- Add in the carrots and cabbage. Make sure to toss it and allow it to sit for about 45 minutes.
- Plate in a serving bowl and top with the chopped cilantro.
This recipe serves 8 people. It takes about 45 minutes to 1 hours to prepare and make this coleslaw.
Here is an alternative recipe if you want to try something else. You can purchase these kitchen tools to help you create your own coleslaw at home:
1. Rig-Tig 4-in-1 Box Grater, Food52.com | 2. Paderno Stainless Steel Balloon Whisk, Food52.com | 3. Typhoon Homewares Mason Cash Cane Mixing Bowls, Food52.com | 4. Mepra Outdoor Italian Salad Bowls and Salad Serves, Food52.com | 5. Typhoon Homewares Mason Cash Multi-Use Utensil Set, Food52.com
Tequila Lime Chicken
Grilled chicken is a great option if you want to host a hassle free barbecue party. You can simply grill the chicken in the oven or on your stove top. This easy recipe lets you create grilled chicken that you can pair with coleslaw, mashed potato and other sides. This chicken recipe is also perfect for creating burritos or soft tacos – very versatile. Prepare the ingredients and follow the instructions below.
- 1 cup of fresh lime juice
- ½ cup of fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of lime zest
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce
- 1 pound of boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the marinade, whisk the orange juice, lime juice, lime zest, Worchestershire sauce, and olive oil in a bowl thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture in a large Ziplock bag and put in the chicken.
- Close the bag and store it in the fridge for about 3 hours or even overnight to let the chicken soak in the marinade.
- When you’re ready to grill the chicken, remove it from the marinade and season it with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Grill the chicken on all the sides until it is fully cooked.
- Serve with cilantro and the side dishes you made for the Memorial Day feast.
This recipe takes about 3-4 hours to prep and grill. It serves 4 people.
If you want an alternative recipe, you can try this one here. You can also buy these items to make it easier for you to try out this dish:
1. Food 52 x Rosti Mepal Ultimate Kitchen Set, Food52.com | 2. Staub Cast Iron Compact Grill with Folding Handle, Food52.com | 3. Kotaigrill 18-Inch Hibachi Grill, Food52.com | 4. The Companion Group Matte Black 3-Piece Grill Set, Food52.com | 5. DANSK Acacia Oval Serving Platter, Food52.com
Fruit Skewers Drizzled in Chocolate
Lastly, here’s a healthy sweet snack for you and your guests. Fruit skewers are very easy to make but it can be tricky because you need to look for fruits that are fully ripe. The chocolate drizzle adds just the right amount of sweetness needed. Prepare these and start making this dish.
- 2 cups of strawberries, sliced in half
- 2 large bananas, sliced thickly
- ¾ cup of raspberries
- ¾ cup of blueberries
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- wooden skewers
- Line up your fruits and get them ready so you can easily assemble your fruit skewers.
- Skewer the fruits alternately and line them on a baking pan. Make sure to put a baking sheet on the baking pan.
- In a bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds.
- Stir the coconut oil in the melted chocolate chips.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on your fruit skewers and serve them in a serving dish.
This serves 10-12 people. You only need 10 to 15 minutes to create this recipe.
If you want an alternative fruit dessert, you can try this easy fresh fruit pie recipe here. Find some great finds to help you with this dish below:
1. Rosti Mepal Microwaveable Nested Storage Bowls, Food52.com | 2. The Companion Group Easy Kebab Loaders in Sets of 2, Food52.com | 3. GIR Silicone Baking Mats, Food52.com | 4. Nordic Ware Half Sheet with Oven Safe Nonstick Grid, Food52.com | 5. Emile Henry Oven to Table Appetizers Tray, Food52.com
These Memorial Day recipes are sure to make your guests happy. These recipes are very easy to recreate, giving you more time to tend to other tasks you need to get done just in time for your Memorial Day celebration.
Here are some useful kitchen tools that can make cooking for Memorial Day easier. Shop for more items here:
Visit TeelieTurner.com regularly for more hassle-free recipes that you can cook at home. If you love this post, you will also love our previous ones. You can read more recipes for different occasions below:
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.