If you’re looking for a healthy, as well as a convenient way to feed your little one, breastfeeding is the way to go. Breastfeeding has many benefits. Mothers can transfer their antibodies to their babies through breastfeeding. Breast milk also aids in fending off flu, colds, and other infections. Most of all, breastfeeding is free! Babies are not the only ones who benefit from breastfeeding. Mothers also benefit from it. Breastfeeding can help reduce mothers’ risk of having ovarian cancer, breast cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
Not that Easy
Breastfeeding may have benefits but it’s not that easy. Some moms have trouble breastfeeding in the early stages because of improper latching, as well as inadequate milk supply. If you are a breastfeeding mom or you plan to breastfeed your child when you give birth, you may be worried about your milk supply. If you are worried about your milk production, we have the answer for you. It’s all about the galactagogues.
What are Galactagogues?
You might be wondering what are galactagogues? Is it some kind of alien word? Why haven’t you heard it before? Well, galactagogues are herbs, as well as medications, that aid in boosting your breastmilk supply. They are a healthy way to increase your breastmilk production. If you want to naturally increase your milk production, you can add galactagogues to your daily diet. Galagtagogues include alfalfa, fenugreek, oats, blessed thistle, goat’s rue, anise, barley, fennel, and more. Adding these to your food can help you improve your milk supply.
Lactation Recipes to Try Out
It’s quite easy to include galagtagogues into your diet. Here are some easy recipes you can try out.
Flourless Lactation Cookies
Who doesn’t love eating cookies? Here’s a simple and easy recipe that you can do to help you increase your milk supply. Prepare these ingredients and start baking!
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup of almond butter
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of brewer’s yeast
- 2 cups of oatmeal, gluten free
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ cup of chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- In a mixer, mix the almond butter, sugar, and peanut butter until the mixture is fluffy and light.
- Add the eggs and mix together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Once the mixture is done, scoop the cookies using one tablespoon.
- Be sure to roll the cookies into a bowl and place them on a lined baking tray.
- For 10 to 12 minutes, bake the cookies at 350°F.
- Remove cookies and allow them to cool. You can store them in a cookie jar and enjoy them for later.
You can also add fenugreek and flaxseed to the mixture before rolling and baking the cookies.
Purchase these baking items to make it easier for you to recreate this recipe:
(1) Farmhouse Pottery Mixing Bowls, Food52.com (2) Five Two Wooden Spoons, Food52.com (3) Food 52 x Farmhouse Pottery Double Oven Mitt and Apron Gift Set, Food52.com (4) Paderno Stainless Steel Cooling Rack with Feet, Food52.com (5) Nordic Ware Natural Alumnum Baking Sheets, Food52.com
Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie
If you feel a bit hot, you can make a lactation smoothie at home! Here’s an easy recipe that will teach you how to concoct a strawberry oatmeal smoothie in just a few minutes. Get these ingredients and try this recipe.
- 1 cup of soy or skim milk, chilled
- ½ cup of oats, rolled
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ to 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 2 teaspoon of sugar or any sweetener of your choice
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Combine the milk, banana, strawberries, and oats in a blender.
- Add the sweetener and vanilla and blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass and enjoy.
You can also blend fenugreek, and any galactagogue you prefer into this smoothie.
You can buy these items to create this smoothie recipe:
(1) Fortessa Tableware Solutions Veranda Outdoor Pitcher and Tumblers, Food52.com (2) Set of 4 Sempli Monti Frosted Stout Beer Glasses, Food52.com (3) Rose & Fitzgerald Set of 4 Pure Brass and Horn Coasters, Food52.com (4) W&P Everyday Ice Cube Trays with Lid, Food52.com (5) Lastra Metallic Straw Wand Set, Food52.com
No Bake Lactation Bites
Not everyone has the time to bake – especially new moms. If you want to try out a lactation treat recipe that’s hassle-free, this one’s for you. These no bake lactation bites can help boost your breastmilk production and they are uber tasty, too! Here are the ingredients you need to prepare:
- 1 cup of rolled old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup of sliced almonds, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of flaxseed, ground
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, creamy
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon of honey
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of almonds or peanuts, ground (to roll the balls into)
- a pinch of salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chia seeds, flaxseeds, oats, almonds, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt the peanut butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave and slightly cool it.
- Mix in the honey, as well as the vanilla extract into the peanut butter. Mix well.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the oats mixture. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add the chocolate chips to the mixture and stir gently.
- Once the mixture is mixed, use a tablespoon to scoop it into bite sized balls.
- Roll the balls into the ground almonds or peanuts.
- Serve at room temperature and enjoy.
You can store the balls in the fridge and enjoy them whenever you feel hungry or whenever you feel like having a sweet treat.
Get these baking tools and items to create this simple yet tasty treat:
(1) Food52 x Ekobo Recycled Bamboo Colander and Pour Bowl Set, Food52.com (2) PieBox Cookie Box, Food52.com (3) Food52 x Rosti Mepal Ultimate Kitchen Set, Food52.com (4) Crow Canyon Home Enamel Jelly Roll Pan, Food52.com (5) Typhoon Homewares Mason Cash Multi-Use Utensil Set, Food52.com
If you have no time to bake, you can simply purchase some of these ready-made lactation treats that you can enjoy. You can try out lactation drinks as well!
These lactation recipes are easy yet effective in increasing your milk supply. Try making them at home and enjoy them as treats for every breastfeeding session. Of course, regular pumping of your breastmilk, as well as direct latching of your baby, are also effective ways to increase your breastmilk production. Be sure to do these regularly so you can meet your baby’s milk demand. Catching on some sleep and keeping yourself hydrated also helps.
Do you want more parenting tips? Visit TeelieTurner.com to learn more! If you enjoyed this post, you will surely enjoy our previous ones. Here are some parenting-related posts that you might love. Enjoy reading them!
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.