Everyone should prioritize his or her health at all times. You may be busy with work or your daily routine but it is still important to take good care of your health. Lifestyle and stress levels may lead to health complications that can take its toll on the body. One of the most common health problems that most people acquire through time is hypertension. This occurs when your blood pressure is always higher than the normal levels. It’s important to monitor your blood pressure levels, as it may lead to severe consequences such as stroke, heart attack, and other health and life threats. One of the best ways to reduce hypertension is prevention. You can change your lifestyle or you can try these foods that can aid in reducing your risk of developing hypertension.
Major Causes of Hypertension
Before you make any changes in your lifestyle, it’s important to consult with your doctor. It’s best to learn more of the causes of hypertension so you can avoid them. Some of the major causes of hypertension are smoking, obesity, too much salt, old age, stress, genes, lack of physical activity, too much alcohol, chronic kidney disease, thyroid and adrenal disorders, and sleep apnea. Avoid developing hypertension by making changes in your lifestyle.
Foods that Reduce Risk of Hypertension
Adjusting your food intake is the easiest way to make a lifestyle change. Limiting the amount of food you consume can make a big difference. Consuming foods that help you lessen your risk of hypertension is also helpful.
If you are a chocolate lover, you’ll be glad to hear that dark chocolate aids in helping lower your blood pressure. Dark chocolate has flavanols, which are powerful antioxidants that help reduce the systolic blood pressure and diastolic prehypertension. Make sure you choose dark chocolate that contains 50% up to 70% cacao. You can eat dark chocolate alone or you can snack on dark chocolate mixed with fruits or nuts. Try these:
1. barkTHINS Snacking Dark Chocolate Variety Pack (Almond with Sea Salt, Pretzel with Sea Salt, and Coconut with Almonds), $16.99 at Amazon 2. Lindt Excellence Bar 85% Cacao Extra Dark Chocolate, $30 at Amazon 3. Ghirardelli Chocolate Intense Dark Bark, Twilight Delight 72% Cacao, $24.90 at Amazon 4. Brookside Dark Chocolate Candy, Acai and Blueberry, $8.47 at Amazon 5. Nib Mor Organic Dark Chocolate with Wild Maine Bluberries, $21.99 at Amazon
Flaxseeds are rich in fiber, fatty acids, and polyphenol or lignans. It’s also a superfood that aid in reducing heart diseases and hypertension. Thanks to the lignans present in flaxseeds, they could aid in lowering blood pressure. Based on studies, consuming 30 grams of flaxseed daily can make a big difference. You can mix flaxseed in your protein shake, cereal, yogurt, and even your soup. Get your daily dose of flaxseed here:
1. Premium Gold Flax Products, Inc. 100% Natural Golden Whole Flaxseed, $9.29 at Amazon 2. GERBS Raw Brown Flax Seeds, $8.99 at Amazon 3. 365 Everyday Value Organic Brown Flaxseed, $2.99 at Amazon 4. Eternae by Nature Organic Milled Flax Seeds, $11.70 at Amazon 5. Spectrum Essentials Organic Gound Flaxseed, $7.64 at Amazon
Leafy Greens and Nitrate Vegetables
Vegetables that are nitrate-heavy are also helpful in reducing hypertension. These veggies include beets, carrots, celery; as well as leafy greens such as cabbage, spinach, and collard greens. Nitrate vegetables have nitrate that aid in widening blood vessels and improve blood circulation and flow. Try these vegetables to reduce your risk of hypertension:
1. Beets, $2.28 at Amazon 2. Organic Celery, $2.50 at Amazon 3. Organic Green Cabbage, $2.89 at Amazon 4. Organic Collard Greens, $2.99 at Amazon 5. 365 Everyday Value, Organic Baby Spinach, $1.99 at Amazon
Olive oil may be a staple ingredient in cooking pasta and salad dishes but it is also helpful in lowering high blood pressure. Extra virgin olive oil had polyphenols, which are antioxidants that aid in reducing hypertension. It also has monounsaturated fats as well as anti-inflammatory properties. Be sure to purchase Extra Virgin Olive Oil only. You can buy them here:
1. AmazonFresh Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, $20.99 at Amazon 2. Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Sky Organics, $14.95 at Amazon 3. Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, $25.97 at Amazon 4. Palermo First Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, $9.98 at Amazon 5. La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, $10 at Amazon
Lastly, if you love munching on nuts, you are helping your body reduce its risk of developing hypertension. Peanuts, almonds, cashews, and pistachios aid in lowering the risk of heart diseases as well as high blood pressure. So, if you’re craving for a savory snack, eat nuts instead of potato chips. Buy them here:
1. 365 Everyday Value Organic Cashews, $7.99 at Amazon 2. Wonderful Pistachios, No Shell, Roasted and Salted, $34.20 at Amazon 3. We Go Nuts Peanuts Roasted Unsalted, $17.29 at Amazon 4. Blue Diamond Almonds, Low Sodium Lightly Salted, $11.68 at Amazon 5. Planters Premium Blend Mixed Nuts, Unsalted, $17.99 at Amazon
These foods help reduce your risk of hypertension. Try them in order to keep your body healthy and free from any health risks caused by high blood pressure. For more health-related tips, you can visit TeelieTurner.com.
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.