The term “superfood” has been generating buzz ever since the word surfaced. It is defined as a food that’s rich in nutrients that are beneficial for overall well-being and health. Superfoods have gained popularity because they are a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and nutrients. In addition, superfoods are generally accepted as good not only for adults, but also for kids. With all the available options out there, it’s important to learn about these top superfoods in order to know which ones are really suitable for babies and toddlers.
Top Superfoods for Your Kids
By the time babies start eating their first solids, parents are on a never ending search for the best food for their little ones. Aside from breastmilk, which is the original superfood, parents can try feeding these top superfoods when their babies turn 6 months old.
- Bananas. Bananas are a good source of potassium, Vitamin C, carbohydrates, manganese, Vitamin B6, and fiber. Simply mash or puree a ripe banana and let your kids enjoy.
- Avocados. Avocados are a great source of healthy fats and protein. Mash the avocadoes and feed to smaller babies who are still starting to eat their solids. For older kids who can already chew, you can simply cut the avocados into cubes.
- Carrots. These are packed with beta-carotene, which is an antioxidant that helps promote healthy vision and growth.
- Butternut Squash. This is a good source of Vitamin C, potassium, beta carotene, folate, B-vitamins, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. To prepare this for your kids, cut the squash into cubes and steam or boil. Puree the squash until smooth when feeding to younger kids. Serve as is for older kids.
- Sweet Potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a good source of fiber, beta carotene, potassium, and Vitamin C. Wash the potatoes and boil or bake them until tender. Puree or mash for younger kids. Slice to smaller pieces for bigger children.
- Oats. Oats are a source of protein, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, Vitamin E, iron, zinc, selenium, phytochemicals, and magnesium. Make sure to use rolled oats for your kids. You can mix them with fruits for added flavor. Just watch out for the sugar content.
- Peas. These are good sources of folic acid, fiber, B vitamins, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. To prepare the peas, simply boil them until tender. You can serve them as is for kids who can already chew. For younger kids, it’s best to puree the cooked peas.
- Blueberries. Rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and fiber. Wash the blueberries and slice into quarters for older kids who can already chew. For babies who are 6 months, it’s best to puree the blueberries before feeding them.
- Broccoli. Good source of beta carotene, iron, folic acid, potassium, Vitamin C, and fiber. Steam broccoli and chop before pureeing. Slice into small pieces for older children.
- Citrus Fruits. Citrus fruits are great sources of Vitamin C. Simply puree or juice oranges, lemon, or grapefruits and serve.
Try These Top Superfoods Substitutes
Prepping the top superfoods listed above may take time. If you are a busy mom, you may find it difficult to prep your little one’s meals at times. Luckily, many organic baby brands offer ready-made superfood meals for babies and toddlers. Here are some of our top picks.
(1) Serenity Kids Baby Food Organic Butternut Squash and Spinach with Avocado Oil
Get the savory taste of butternut squash and spinach, as well as the healthy fats from the avocado oil, with each pouch. Your little one will surely enjoy his or her veggies with the help of this pre-prepared organic baby food. Purchase a box of 6 pouches from Amazon.
(2) Beech-Nut Stage 1 Baby Food in Bananas
Introduce fruits to your baby in a healthy way. Made with fresh ingredients, each bottle is filled with 100% natural bananas. You can buy a pack of 10 from Amazon.
(3) Plum Organics Mighty Veggies Organic Toddler Food
Plum Organics features delicious flavor options and combinations that your baby will enjoy. The ingredients are 100% GMO-free, 100% organic, and 100% yummy for baby. You can get a 12-pouch pack from Amazon.
(4) NurturMe Organic Infant Cereals, Protein Packed Quinoa
As a superfood, quinoa is a great option when it comes to the usual rice cereals for babies. Protein-packed quinoa has all of its natural vitamins, fiber, minerals, phytochemicals, and healthy fats. Baby can absorb the nutrients when munching on this organic baby cereal. You can purchase this from Amazon.
(5) Ella’s Kitchen Organic 6+ Months Baby Food in Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, and Blueberries
Each 3.5-ounch pouch of Ella’s Kitchen Organic Baby Food is packed with organic fruit and vegetable blends that your baby will enjoy. Each blend uses natural and organic ingredients that are pureed smoothly for baby’s growing needs. You can choose from 11 different flavors and blends. Buy this from Amazon.
(6) Amara Organic Baby Food in Peas, Corn, and Carrots
Amara Organic Baby Food offers something different compared to other organic baby food brands. The brand offers powdered baby food that combines different organic fruits and vegetables. This is perfect for when you’re traveling and still want to feed baby organic food. You can grab this from Amazon.
(7) Happy Baby Organic Clearly Crafted Stage 2 Baby Food in Apples, Blueberries, and Oats
Happy Baby Organics has a healthy line of baby food made with top superfoods such as oats, bananas, carrots, blueberries, and more. From your baby’s first solids to your toddler’s healthy eating stage, Happy Baby Organics has it all. You can purchase this from Amazon.
(8) Earth’s Best Organic Stage 1 Baby Food, My First Veggies Variety Pack
This vegetable variety pack includes four 2.5-ounce jars of Earth’s Best’s most popular variants – peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Each jar contains baby food made from organic vegetables that have no artificial flavors and are GMO-free. You can get this variety pack from Amazon.
(9) Mama Bear Organic Baby Food Stage 2 in Banana Apple
This organic baby food comes in 12 4-ounce packs that are made especially for babies who are 6 months and above. Each pouch is packed with plenty of nutrition and goodness that baby will enjoy. No added salt, no artificial flavors, GMO-free, and 100% USDA organic. You can purchase a pack from Amazon.
(10) Stonyfield Organic, YoBaby Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
Yogurts are rich in protein, calcium, and other essential nutrients. Add this to your baby’s diet to ensure that he or she is eating healthy. This organic whoel milk yogurt from Stonyfield Organic is gluten-free, Kosher-certified, USDA organic, and Non-GMO. Get this 6-pack YoBAby Plain Whole Milk Yogurt from Amazon.
These top superfoods are what your baby needs to start eating solids in a healthier way. These foods may be packed with all the essential nutrients your baby needs but supplementing them with breastmilk is still best for babies. In addition, it is also advised to consult with a pediatrician before letting your baby try out something new.
For other organic baby food products, as well as other kitchen tools that can help you with preparing healthy meals for your little ones, you can shop here:
Visit TeelieTurner.com for more baby and parenting-related posts. If you loved this one, you might want to read more below:
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.